Are divorce records public?

You may request access to all documentation and records held by any government department, it’s officials or any other public body. It does not matter when that information came into existence. These include:
• Personal records held by a government department or a public body.
• Third party information or records, only with permission from the relevant third party ,
especially if the documents contain confidential or private information.
• The records of cabinet and its committees.
• Records that relate to the judicial function of a court.
• Information obtained by a special tribunal that was established in terms of the law.
• Information held by an individual member of parliament or of a provincial legislature.
The Access to Information Act is above any other act or legislation that may prohibit you or restrict you from having access to any information. It’s purpose is to ensure that people can exercise their constitutional right of access to any information that is required for the exercise or protection of any right and is held by the State or another person.
The Promotion of Access to Information Act should not be used when:
• The record is requested to be used in criminal or civil proceedings.
• A criminal or civil proceeding has already commenced.
The Access to Information Act fosters a culture of transparency and accountability in both public and private bodies. It promotes a society in which the people of South Africa have effective access to information to enable them to fully exercise and protect their rights.
If you need assistance or have further questions, please contact:

011 331 0072 long

074 631 0072

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Need Help?